Thursday 16 April 2015

Roadtrip Perth to Darwin - Part 8

Day 19


Our days in Australia were coming to an end. Since the Bungles were shut, we decided that we would go to Litchfield as it seemed a good option. It was indeed. 

Baruwei walk - Katherine Lookout


First of all, we drove to Katherine and we slept at a place full of mosquitoes but quite nice. In the morning, we went to the lookout from which you could see the river and the croc traps too. Salt water crocodiles could be in the water so swimming was really dangerous and in some places it was prohibited. In Katherine it was so we stayed away from the water just in case haha.








Edith Falls


After Katherine, we went to Edith Falls. That place was awesome. A beautiful gorge surrounded by a small waterfall and just nature around. We swam there and jumped and the we decided to go up the waterfall to explore a little bit. Angela, Brian and I climbed up and we arrived to another small gorge, and then another one. I guess that we could have been walking up the river for as long as we wanted and the gorges would have never disappointed us. To be honest, sometimes we felt a little bit afraid because the only gorge that was considered safe to swim was the first one. Although it was difficult to find crocodiles up the river, it wasn't as controlled as it was on the first gorge haha. The risk was worthy though and we had so much fun.




















After Edith Falls, we started our journey to Litchfield. 

Litchfield campsite


Once we got to the camp site, it was our turn (girls) to prepare a meal for the boys. It would be a competition and the next day boys would have to make dinner for us. Not only was the meal important, but also the theme of the night, the presentation and how the boys were welcome to the dinner. Since we had to cook kangaroo, we decided that we would prepare the scene as if we were in the forest and as if we were Aboriginal Australians. The result was awesome and to welcome the boys, we prepared a choreography, we danced with a didgeridoo song and we pretended that we were hunting kangaroos.
















The night was clear and Anusha and I decided to sleep outside although mosquitoes were pretty annoying. After half an hour, I was being bitten so badly that I had to go inside the mosquito net. Not to mention the frogs jumping around my swag... In the middle of the night, I heard someone coming inside the mosquito net I built and I thought it was Anusha because she was the only one sleeping outside.

Apparently this wasn't the case haha.

Day 20


When I got up to do some yoga, I was trying to be really quiet because it was still dark, maybe 4:30 in the morning and I didn't want to wake Anusha up. So I quietly moved and said 'sorry Anusha just getting up for yoga'.

When I finished, I went back and I found out that Anusha was still sleeping outside so I had no idea who was sleeping in my mosquito net haha. I went there and it was Brian, who decided to go inside too after being so badly bitten by mosquitoes haha. I think I even kicked Brian while sleeping and I said 'sorry Anusha' haha.

After having some breakfast, we went to a place called Florence Falls.

Florence Falls


We waked early in the morning to Florence Falls so it wasn't too hot, neither too crowded. We got there and the sun wasn't high enough yet to light up the waterfall. Although it was still shady, the place was beautiful and you could swim behind the waterfall.






Some people arrived after us, and some people in my group were pretty happy with their presence there... the waterfall looked nicer, didn't it Jacob and Soren?

We followed the circular track after swimming in the falls and we walked through an area that was burned. It was sad to see, but this is Australia and bush fires are pretty common unfortunately.



Then, we drove to Buley Rockhole.

Buley Rockhole


We walked some meters and we arrived to a place that it looked like a natural spa. There were different pools to choose from and you could swim and jump in all of them. Small jumps that's true but one of the pools was really deep :)









After the pools, we went to a lookout to see Tolmer Falls.

Tolmer Falls


Not too much water running, and the light was horrible to take pictures haha so we drove to Wangi Falls where we would be able to swim and have some lunch.


Wangi Falls


This waterfall was nicer than the last one and at least we could swim to cool down. Drop sharks were around and it was a bit scary to think that if a crocodile had appeared when we were under the waterfall, it would have been impossible to escape and swim fast to the shore because it was quite far haha there were no crocs that's for sure but still sometimes you get paranoid when the water is not clear and you are surrounded by just water, rocks and a kind of mangrove haha.


















After having some lunch, we went for a walk and then we drove to an esplanade to see termite Mounds and have another swim in the Buley Rockhole to cool down.

Termite Mounds


The termite mounds are home to termites and they are actually pretty cool.






Buley Rockhole






At night, it was the boy's turn to prepare us dinner. The decided that we had to dress with something loose and they did the best performace I had ever seen before. They all dressed up like Romans, we got the food served, they even prepared a vegetarian meal for me, It was just amazing. I miss all these people so much :)










Day 21


Day 21 was the last day of our trip and we went to one of the best places I have been in Australia. Evan took us to a secret spot and it was crazy.

Tjaynera Falls


First of all, we drove to Tjaynera Falls after having our last breakfast all together. We walked about half an hour (I don't remember exactly) and we arrived at one of the most amazing places I have ever seen. We went for a swim and some of us followed Evan to the secret spot and up to the top of the waterfall. Before, we stopped to say hi to a beautiful snake.






The way up was a bit challenging and some rock were loose. However, it was worthy to end up on top of the waterfall feeling like if we were on top of the world. I felt like being there forever. I wish I had had a paraglide to jump...












Then, we walked up the river to some other smaller waterfalls. We were all enjoying it so much but we all knew as well that the excursion we were doing was our last excursion together. We were actually a bit sad... At least I was haha

















After this amazing adventure, we started driving to Darwin, where we had our bye bye party.

Darwin









This trip was probably the most beautiful experience in my life so far. Not only did I meet such a nice group of people and friends, but also I saw so many stunning places, landscapes, animals... I think it couldn't have been any better.

Thanks guys, you are all awesome. One of the most valuable gifts in this world is having reasons to smile. You guys make me smile every time I think of you. Love you and miss you so much!

1 comment:

  1. Ok, one more time: Great work, thank you Sonia! I really do miss the time in OZ

    ReplyDelete