Sunday 26 April 2015

Lombok adventure

I decided to go to Lombok after a week in Bali because I thought it would be quieter and wilder than Bali. Of course it was except for the harbour and Senggigi.

I left Kuta Bali in the morning and took a boat to Lombok. No one else stopped in Lombok so I was the only person left at the harbour; all the other continued to Gili Islands. For me that was a good sign because Lombok seemed more peaceful than Bali. However, local taxi drivers in the harbour still annoy you so much. I was carrying my backpack, my surfboard and my camera and these guys didn’t stop following me. I had no idea where I was or where I was going and they were stressing me out. At some point they didn’t let me walk, they were all offering me deals to go to Kuta, to do tours, to do activities in Lombok and I didn’t want any of these deals. I just wanted to go somewhere to leave my stuff and decide how I could get to Kuta without paying a ridiculous amount of money because they saw me travelling alone. I was freaking out and I couldn’t move. I dropped my surfboard on the floor and I stopped being nice to them. Suddenly, a couple of guys appeared in a pretty fancy car and asked me if I needed help. ‘Yes please’ was my answer.

Thanks to them all the other guys disappeared, well no, but at least they were not around me anymore. The two guys offered me a lift to Kuta the next day because they had to go there. Fuck yeah, a free lift to Kuta! So I went to a hostel, ate something, went to a beautiful beach to do some yoga and the next day the guys were picking me up. 


Senggigi









Sumbawa


I knew nothing about them and they said they had to go to Sumbawa for the day and I was invited to go with them If I didn’t have any other plan. Of course I didn’t so we went to Sumbawa. I didn’t know why they were going there at the beginning but then I knew. All the guys were managers of five-star hotels and resorts in Fiji Islands and they wanted to do a project in Sumbawa. They wanted to go there to explore the area and decide how they wanted to build up the resort. That’s why they had a private boat, gave me food for free and a trip to Sumbawa for free haha. I was quite lucky I think because it is not that cheap to go to Sumbawa and definitely I wouldn’t have gone without those guys.









We arrived to Sumbawa and apparently they are pretty strict in terms of religion. Girls have to cover and I didn’t know it. I jumped from the boat to the water and as soon as I put my feet on the beach, the guy who was about to start the project (the others were just friends helping him to decide) gave me a sarong and I had to cover my shoulders and get dressed quickly. We drove through a really small village and there was a sign before you could go in that said: "Girls covered. No shoulders, no hair, no knees". We were in the car so it wasn’t a problem and after crossing the village we arrived at a small beach where the complex was supposed to be built. I just stayed around, went for a walk, for a swim, explored the island a little more while they were talking about business and I did yoga under the shade of a small wooden structure. I loved that island. It is so beautiful and so quiet. There is no one there…












After a while we went back to where our boat was and while I was drinking a mango juice in front of the ocean, the tsunami alarm went off. I looked at the guys and I looked at the closest hill because if a tsunami had to come I couldn’t stay just there… I wasn’t scared, just confused and then a local girl came to explain that it was just a test. You don’t really have time to realise what is this sound about but when you think deeply, it is probably one of the scariest sounds I’ve ever heard in my life. The ocean is too powerful for us to avoid a Tsunami in a small island like Sumbawa. Luckily, nothing happened.






Then we started our journey back to Lombok and we saw sunset from the top of the boat. It was really cool. Then we drove to Kuta again and I said bye to the guys after having an awesome meal (free again haha).  


Surf and sunsets around Kuta 


I didn’t know where to sleep and I saw to boys stopping their scooters, both with surf racks and I went to ask them. They drove me to where they were staying and the owners there gave me a pretty good deal for a bungalow that became my home for the next days. I was so lucky to meet Rikard, Daniel and Anna because Rikard and Anna knew the area perfectly and I could go surfing with them. Then Peter arrived and Daniel left, so I spent most of my days in Lombok with Peter, Rikard and Anna, and some days with Kim as well. The guesthouse in which I was staying was perfect, and the boys there were all so nice. 



The first night in Lombok was a bit weird. Since it is mostly Muslim, there are mosques around the island and they put speakers so everyone can hear what is being said and done in the mosque. I didn’t know that the mosques start their rituals at 5 in the morning and I didn’t know that the speakers sounded madly loud… Chanting and calls to prayer are done during the day and afternoon as well in order to provide the community with accurate schedules for praying. So I got up really exalted because I didn’t know what all that noise was. When all this finished I thought I could sleep again but the market was getting ready and music was loudly sounding again. In the morning the guys laughed at me because I was confused with everything and I found that people were really noisy haha.

Then, I went to the market with Anna to buy some fruit and nuts. The markets are really cool and colorful and I tried the best honey mangoes ever. It was unbelievable to see all the fishes and pieces of meat on the floor because we are not used to see it this way here. Here, everything is in a fridge or in a cold environment; there, everything loves sunbathing.










After having some breakfast, I went surfing for the first time in Lombok. Seger was the first spot I went and it was really cool. I enjoyed being in the water so much and waves were really nice. I was too excited to remember that I left my booties on the beach while I was stretching after the session and in the afternoon, after eating and doing some yoga, I went back to Seger for another surf session and luckily I found my booties. I had so much fun with all the local kids that were in the water and I had a really beautiful afternoon watching sunset from the water. 

Seger




Maui


The next day, I went to Maui. I didn’t know that Maui was considered a spot for experts so I just popped up there and I went in the water although I saw it was a bit too big for my level. Anyways, I loved Maui and I probably caught one of the most exciting waves in my life haha. I paddled out again after eating something under the shade of the wooden shacks in Maui and I did some yoga in the afternoon. To finish the day, I went on a motorbike adventure with Rikard to see sunset from the top of the hills in Lombok. I don’t think I could ask for anything else. 


















Tanjug Aan


Tanjung Aan was probably the nicest spot for me in Lombok. I went there with Anna and we met Miles. It was just the three of us in the water and waves were awesome. I had the best time until some locals came and we had to leave.

In the afternoon, Peter arrived with a girl that was trying to find a place to sleep and I offered her to share the bungalow with me so it was cheaper for both of us. Then I taught some yoga to the kids that lived there and I laughed so much. Afterwards, we played some domino and it was even better haha.


Gerupuk 


Gerupuk was another surf spot that was really cool. I went to Gerupuk outside with Peter and I surfed the whole morning with some kids that were giving me preference to catch waves. I was so excited because the day before I had a bad experience with locals and then the next day the locals were really nice and I could surf with them. They were actually so excited to know that I am from Barcelona and they were asking questions all the time about things in Spain, and of course football haha. 





One of the days, there was no surf at all so Peter and I went to teach English to some Indo kids. We were asked to volunteer for an organisation and that’s what we did. We spent some hours just talking in English with some children and they were trying to speak English too. Sometimes, drawing and body language was the only way but it was really funny. After that, we went snorkelling for a bit and we ended up surrounded by kids again.
















I must admit that sunsets in Lombok are probably one of the best things I’ve ever seen. From the top of the hills it’s amazing and I went on some more motorbike excursions with Rikard during the days that I spent in Lombok. Thanks to Rikard I could explore those hills and fell in love with Lombok.






I could sum up my days in Lombok by saying that I surfed every day, did yoga every day and saw sunset every day. Surf, yoga, eat, repeat. I felt like home and I loved it. The last day, Rikard, Peter and I went out for dinner, had a couple of beers and went to see a light-shapes performance at the field behind the homestay. So many kids enjoying it but we couldn’t pick up a word haha. Lombok is such a beautiful place and my time there was unforgettable. 








Thanks Lombok, thanks friends for being part of my time there. It wouldn't have been the same without you and I am so happy to have had the chance to meet you and spend time with you. Thanks for showing me amazing places, for the surf sessions and for your company. Miss you :)

2 comments:

  1. Great work, thank you Sonia! I really do miss the time in OZ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well... lools like I'm on the wrong page XD

      Delete