Saturday 24 January 2015

Roadtrip Perth to Darwin - Part 5

Day 13


At the beginning of the day, we were all really sad. Not only was the group about to change, but also we had to say bye to one of the most amazing persons I have ever met, Ben. It was the last one we had to say goodbye to because we already said bye to the others the night before and it was quite sad.

We climbed up the track and while we were trying to keep our tears we said bye to Ben and Tjilpi and we started driving to Windjana Gorge. 

On the way, we stopped at an Aboriginal prison. It was a huge baobab that was sacred for Aboriginal people but with the beginning of the invasion this was not even considered and started being used as a prison to keep Aboriginal people tided around the tree for days.  







We arrived at the campsite at Windjana Gorge but we just stopped to set up the tents for the bags and have some lunch. Of course Brian, Nicole and I were the first ones to set up the tent, no doubt about it :P



Tunnel Creek 


Afterwards, we went to a place called Tunnel Creek. That place is a cave with a small river inside that is known for the amount of fresh water crocodiles that live inside. I was so excited because that was the first time in my life that I would see wild crocodiles and I couldn’t wait. When we arrived to the cave, it was full of flying foxes. I could smell the flying foxes and it reminded me of being back home exploring caves with my brother.














As soon as we started to go deep inside the tunnel, we saw the first crocodile. You could see their eyes shining in the dark with the light of our lanterns and some of them were really close. I loved it, I was so amazed with those animals and I couldn’t believe I was walking in water next to them.








After the amazing experience at Tunnel Creek, we went to Windjana Gorge.

Windjana Gorge


We walked from the campsite and we arrived at an amazing valley with huge walls standing around us and a small river full of crocodiles. I went for a walk around the bend of the river and I saw a nice croc close to the shore. I tried to get closer to see if I could get a picture with it but the croc got stressed and jumped out of the water splashing and scaring me. The nice croc just turned around and started swimming away from me… Poor thing, I didn’t meant to annoy it but it just happened haha.

We sat on the sand staring at the sky and amazed by the beauty of that place while we were seeing the sun setting. I thought I couldn’t ask for anything else to make that moment perfect but yes I could. As soon as the sun set, lots of bats started flying out of their holes. All the sky was covered by flying foxes and it was time for the crocodiles to take advantage of that and wait for some careless bats to get close to the water. We weren’t lucky to see the crocs in action but apparently the bats go to the water to drink and the crocodiles jump to catch them while they fly.















When it was already quite dark, we went back to the campsite, prepared some dinner and went to bed. The sky again was full of stars and since the night was clear and there were no threats of rain, we slept outside. It is crazy to fall asleep while you see shooting stars.

Day 14


Bell Gorge


Day 14 was probably the fullest day we had and one of the most beautiful ones. I got up at 4:10 am (a bit crazy I know) to dome yoga after dodging some wallabies on my way to a wooden table. I stood there and did some yoga while I saw the sun rising. After some breakfast, we started driving towards Bell Gorge.



When we got to Bell Gorge, we walked for a while and the surroundings were just amazing. Mountains, waterfalls and a good hike to get to the amazing gorge. I was stunned and all I had in mind was the amount of rocks available to jump off them. It was a paradise!













These guys are absolutely amazing. My trip was so good because of them that's for sure. We had an amazing time and then we started driving to Galvin Gorge with a lunch break in between. Any of us didn't want to leave that place because it was seriously so magical.

Galvans Gorge


Galvans Gorge was really cool.We arrived there and the first thing we saw was a rope from which we could jump to the gorge. Shaggy and I of course were more than excited and we jumped so many times. Then we also saw a snake hiding in between rocks. Although Evan tried to pick it up and take it out of the hole, it was just to difficult and the snake could have been injured so we left the poor snake alone. We had a lot of fun at that gorge :)



Mannings Campsite


After that, we went to the campsite where we would stay the next night. There was a river next to the campsite and it was full of fresh water crocodiles. We swam for a while and we saw sunset from the river.








After dinner, we decided to go back to the river to see if we could hear and see the crocodiles eat. The sky again was full of starts and the night was just magic. Shaggy, Evan and I decided to go for a swim and later Nicole joined us. It was all dark, just the light of the stars was shining and we could hear the crocodiles eat. They were opening their jaws and slamming them strongly to catch their preys. It was awesome and meanwhile, we were swimming there, watching the stars, and telling stories about crocodile and shark attacks. A bit ironic since we were there with all the crocs haha.

Evan left and Nicole, Shaggy and I were still there talking and enjoying the night. All of a sudden Nicole and I saw a shade and a thing coming out of the water just in front of us. At the moment we thought it was a crocodile and we both jumped backwards and almost started screaming but we instantly realised that it was Shaggy stretching. His feet were floating on the surface and the shape seemed a crocodile mouth. We laughed so much and then we started to become paranoid about crocodiles approaching us and we decided to get out of the water and enjoy the night a little bit more at the shore.

Complete silence, stars, crocodiles, nature and a fisherman that joined us for our minutes there observing the sky and feeling the night.

No comments:

Post a Comment